Thursday, December 11, 2008

Crazy Eyed Lady


So I was looking for an appropriate picture to illustrate what I had to deal with on the train tonight, and the above image was recovered in a Google search. It's not quite what I had in mind, but it gets the point across.

I had just changed trains on my way home tonight, and was glad to find a seat so I could finish reading an article about former NYPD Detective, Derrick Parker in my coveted New Yorker magazine. Settled in, gloves off, I feel something glaring at me from across the aisle. When I looked up, there was this crazy-eyed lady with a really big head just staring at me! Staring and blinking really hard, like she couldn't believe her eyes. What gives? She was making no attempt at looking away, once caught, and obviously had no shame in the matter. It's only about a 20 minute ride by this point, so I decided to try and block it out. Back to my article. She was still staring at me a few stops later, so this time I stared right back. This time she tried to make it seem like she was looking out the window past my head. There's nothing to look at out there, except for a concrete tunnel wall, so I was not buying it. Once I had begun to forget about it (a difficult feat), I see her pick up her cell phone. It was kind of loud on the train, but I did just make out her telling whoever was on the other end that someone on the train was just looking at her. Just looking and looking. If I had something with me, like a drink, I might have thrown it at her (in true Subway Gal style). But then it was time to get off the train and so I let it lie.

This lady had a serious problem. When I mentioned a few days ago that one of my guilty pleasures is when you catch someone looking at you, this is not at all what I had in mind. Someone looking at me the way this lady was will just make Abe angry and hostile. Especially if you are caught trying to turn it back around on me!

The walk home couldn't have ended sooner. Did I have a huge boogie hanging out of my nose? Was there food from this afternoon's building party on my chin? Did I lose an eyeball since the last time I checked? Nothing. None of the above. When I looked in the mirror there was nothing out of place. Not even one hair. She was just a loose cannon, end of story.

However, I did at least finish my article, so all-in-all, it was an ok ride home.

1 comment:

Subway Gal said...

HAHA Thanks for the shout out!! I hate when people stare! Especially if they are funny looking/ugly. I may have just gotten up and punched her in the face.