Thursday, January 22, 2009

Time for Laziness


Is it just me, or is everyone getting a major bite from the laziness bug this week? I'm not talking about work. It's pretty impossible to be lazy at my office. And in general I'm not a lazy person, by any means. But I am talking about simple home/housework tasks that just seem easier to push off than take the little bit of time to complete them. Here are a few examples:

Taking down the Christmas tree
Seriously, I know it hasn't even been a month since Christmas. However, I just can't seem to go down the one flight of stairs to the storage units, retrieve the box and bags which hold the ornaments and the fake tree for 11 months of the year, and haul it back down there for another year. In fact, I'm kind of starting to like it! Maybe I could leave it up and decorate it for Easter, or hell, even Flag Day. I definitely don't want to turn into one of those uber-trashy people who leave up Christmas decorations all year long though. So I need to just bite the bullet and do it.

Folding and Putting Away Laundry
So I know it's only my own mess, since I live by myself, but honestly I have three separate piles of clean laundry which needs to be folded and put into its respective cabinet/dresser/shelf/what have you. One is in a basket in my bedroom, the other is a gigantic pile on the floor in my guest room, and the other one is still in the dryer...where it's been for a week. It's nice selecting my clothes from the dryer in the morning. Really.

Putting Away Clean Dishes
This one's not quite so bad, since I have an insane amount of dishes. But I usually get things out of the dishwasher for a good 2-3 days before finally emptying it into the cabinets. And yes, I live in Chicago and have a dishwasher. Rare, I know. I also have a garbage disposal.

Cleaning in General
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. One of my favorite things to do on a Friday is to indulge myself with several strong cocktails, listen to loud music, and clean. Loud music is preferably The Pointer Sisters, Donna Summer, and Diana Ross. Lately, though, I haven't even felt like doing that! Maybe I've just been busy. Or maybe I need a monthly housecleaner. Most people I know have one, it seems. Anyone interested? I pay decently.

Cooking Myself Dinner
I probably cook for myself about half the time, which is pretty good considering the multitudes of tempting places to have dinner every night. I do love to cook. Absolutely love it. And I'm good at it. But lately the doldrums of cooking for one, and bringing the leftovers for lunch the next day have driven me into the same three dishes: frozen ravioli, chop suey, and tacos. I always try to eat a balanced meal, with plenty of vegetables (how I do love them!), but in the summertime with the windows open and the warm breeze coming through my kitchen, it just seems like a lot more fun.

I guess it could be a lot worse. Like I could be too lazy to flush the toilet, or take a shower in the morning. Or I could forget to do my hair in the morning, or wipe when I'm done using the bathroom. Now that I think of it, my laziness isn't as bad as it could be. Let's hope it doesn't last much longer!

4 comments:

Emily said...

1. The face that you have a guest room makes me extremely jealous.

2. I didn't realize how much I missed a garbage disposal until I moved into this apartment and didn't have one.

3. I love that you love vegetables, just like I do.

4. My Christmas lights are still up in my bay window if that makes you feel any better.

Subway Gal said...

Sooooooo with you Abe, my friend. I'm not lazy in general, but I get lazy when it comes to things like cleaning and especially making myself dinner. I spend way too much time psyching myself up to do the task and once I'm actually doing it it's not so so bad.

Jenn Sutherland said...

I have 3 christmas decorations, and they're not even big, just require putting them back in a drawer...they're still staring at me from the entertainment center.

I've been meaning to wash the kitchen/hall floors for a month...I normally do so weekly (also to loud music, though usually Great Big Sea or Kanye), and the buildup of dog prints and wet boot prints is getting a little sad.

Ditto with laundry. I hate pairing socks and dealing with the undies...I've got half a basket of clean undies/socks that have sat there for 3 days and counting, and I just pick out what I need straight from the basket.

All this to say...yes, it is the end of January, and I'm lazy, and tired of the cold weather.

Red from Ktown said...

I 'conveniently' had plans on the weekends after Christmas so I 'conveniently' didn't have time to take down my stuff and haul it to my garage. I also was hindered 'conveniently' by the sub-zero temps that weren't conducive to schlup 2 or 3 rubbermaid tubs to and from my house, through, my house tracking in snow & ice because you almost have to wear your warm boots, etc.....How 'convenient', eh?? I did finally get to it the third week of January, and the kicker was that I'm so organized that it only took less than an hour!! DOH!