Thursday, October 23, 2008

Rude Coughing

This is what my morning and evening rush hour commute look like:



I'm quite used to it by now: getting armpits in my face, dodging a groping hand trying to find a bar or strap to hold onto, but you can't see who it's connected to, et cetera. People wear backpacks on their back and take up way more room than necessary, or sit in the seat with their legs spread so far apart that they also take up the next one.

However this morning was particularly awkward for me. You see, I have this nagging, dry cough that is lingering from a cold I had last week. It's no fun. The air on the subway is pretty dry, since the heat is on, and this morning I absolutely could not stop coughing! I felt bad for the people around me, and although I was covering my mouth very well, I'm sure they all thought I had TB or something. It makes you think a little bit. For every person you see covering their mouth when they cough or sneeze, there are probably ten more who don't bother.

As soon as I got off the train to change to another one, the coughing stopped. Just like magic. Hopefully I get over it soon! In the meantime, all we can do is wash up as soon as we are done touching all of those grimy public surfaces. And at least I don't have to deal with this:

No comments: