Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Glow-in-the-dark tunnels


I found this Tribune article very interesting, regarding Chicago subway tunnel glow-in-the-dark paint. I don't know why it's taken so long to make the escape routes a priority (although I'm sure other things have been done in the meantime). But this one seems like a no-brainer. There have been several huge subway derailments in the past few years, and it seems like chaos ensues each time. It's really no surprise...can you imagine zooming along at 55 mph and then flying off the track? It's already loud enough when you are in the tunnels, and I couldn't imagine what that would sound like.
Anyway, kudos to the CTA for employing this paint to be used on the catwalks in case of an emergency subway evacuation. I'm sure it's money well-spent (although I hope we don't ever have to find out for sure!)

2 comments:

Emily said...

I don't know what part of Chicago you are commuting in, but this tunnel is always available for me when I get off the el. HA. Abe, what would we do if we didn't comment on each others blogs?!

Red from Ktown said...

That's so cool to learn about the El's...Thanks for sharing.