Saturday, July 4, 2009

Crappy Interview






























This train seems to be moving much faster than mine did yesterday!

Just after my post about doing well at an interview, I screwed it up yesterday. I had an interview at a not for profit agency in which I would be walking around the city and asking people to donate to a charity, Children for America. It would be a great job, talking to people, meeting people, plus it's the summertime and the weather is beautiful. It would kind of stink in the cold of winter, but that's to be dealt with later. I may even have another job by then.

When I left home I was 15 minutes early. It was perfect because I was going to stop at Kinko's and make copies of my resume. Well I got on the subway and it was moving really slowly. "Shit," I thought. This is going to make me late. Then the train stopped at Thorndale for honestly 10 minutes. I don't know what the hell was going on. I called the office and let them know that I was going to be late. I didn't even change trains so I could take the subway right under where the interview was.

When I walked into the office, the lady told me, "You are late!" When I began to tell her that the subway was slow and stopped for several minutes, she cut me right off and told me to fill out an application. Kind of sadly, I walked over and filled it in. But then when I went in to the interview she was quite pleasant to me. She even smiled a few times! When I left I told her that I hoped that my being late didn't jeopardize my getting the job. Today they are supposed to call me to let me know if I have been hired. I hope that's the case because it was great money. $600-1000/week is fantastic. I could live like a rich man on that! We will see how it goes. I also applied to a few restaurants in my neighborhood, H&M, several hotels, tons of retail stores on Michigan Avenue and State Street. Hopefully one of these jobs arises. I definitely need to follow up with some of them.

3 comments:

Emily said...

I was wondering how the interview went.....I hope they call! I was on Metra once heading home for a party starting at 7. The train stopped at clyborn and didn't move for 45 minutes. Needless to say I was late and sitting on the train not moving wanted to make me cry. Ahhhh public transportation.

Subway Gal said...

That's not so bad. We can't help the crappy subway system (in any city), so don't worry bout it. If you didn't get the job, I don't think that would have been the reason. Sooooooooo any updates since this post??

Wicker Park Apartments said...

I had a similar experience this year trying to get to the airport for an anual golf trip with my friends. Seemed like it went 2mph all the way to ohare!