Sunday, December 13, 2009

Holy Cow!!


Shhhh, did you hear? The new Mayor in Houston, Texas is.....gay. And also, did you hear, that the President of the United States is, shhhhh, black? We have made some huge steps in the past 2 years with getting with the times. Even in the last 50 years with the Civil Rights movement.

I was so excited when I heard about the Mayor's election this morning. This is a huge thing. As I have said before in the recent past, it doesn't matter who you love, you are all still beautiful people, professional, and outstanding. "It's the way God made you." As a customer told me yesterday, speaking about her brother coming out to her mom. "Never be ashamed of who you are." The same goes for race. Chicago is one of the most segregated cities in the world. It saddens me every day to think of this fact. There are people on the south and west sides who have never even seen a white person. You could almost draw lines on a map to show where black people, white people, latino people, live. I will say this is one of the most fascinating, yet unsettling things about Chicago. There are little neighborhoods of Russians, Indians, Vietnamese, Hungarian, Bulgarian, et cetera people. But this is different than segregation. 100 years ago, when people were flocking to Chicago and New York during the migration, they settled in little pockets, near each other because they spoke the same languages, and ate the same food. If you visit one of these neighborhoods, you can eat some of the most delicious, and authentic ethnic foods. But I have, again, gone off topic.


I just wish this city as a whole were more mixed. My neighborhood is very mixed, and diverse. Every single day, I see blacks, whites, Russians, Indians, Eastern Europeans, latinos, gay people, straight people walking down the street in harmony. If the entire city were like this, I would be much happier. But I still love this place, called Chicago. Remember the President is from Chicago. I've talked about it in many posts. So hopefully rest the United States will catch up to the times, as a few cities have it right!! This is 2010 people, not 1910.


Hugs,

Abe

1 comment:

Red from Ktown said...

Nice blog. Trying to get back into the blog game.